Getting to Paris

Day 10 (Saturday)

Steph taking a nap or taking in the view.. not sure which
Saturday morning I got up, somewhat dismayed that I was leaving Riva San Vitale. It was probably my favorite place so far, and while I knew Paris would be fun I was thoroughly enjoying the scenery and the relaxing atmosphere. Right before we all left, I made a last-minute trip to the grocery store to buy some Swiss chocolate as well as some drinks for the train to Paris.

The first train ride was actually quite enjoyable. We had reservations, so we were all able to sit together. I sat in a group of four chairs that was facing each other and had a little table, so we played cards for at least half of the four hours. We were all having a great time, so it seemed like only an hour or two before we arrived at the station and switched trains.

"NO PARKING - car will explode" is my best guess.
Exploding cars?
Unfortunately not all the seats in the second train faced each other so I didn’t end up sleeping, but I took the opportunity to catch up on a few hours of sleep. I fell asleep within 10 minutes of the train leaving, and slept soundly until we arrived in Paris four hours later.

After putting our stuff in the hotel, we all went to dinner, which was in what looked like a wine cellar of a restaurant. It was a very nice place, and the food was quite delicious. It came in several courses, and the duck I ordered was everything I could have hoped for. It was somewhat different than the duck I had eaten in a Thai restaurant in the states, but just as good nonetheless.

Our first glimpse of Notre Dame
Dinner took several hours, and afterward Dr. Tront walked us all over Paris so we had a better understanding of where we were located in the City. We saw the Eiffel Tower from a distance, but I couldn’t really get a good picture of it because it was dark. Even though I took a nap on the train I was pretty tired by the time we got back to the hotel, so I took a shower and went to bed fairly soon after.